Diovan Side Effects
Valsartan is known to be well tolerated by most of the patients. In very few cases patients taking Valsartan might experience common side effects. Common side effects reported with this drug are not serious and usually disappear after patients get adjusted to the drug. Some of the common side effects that can be experienced include:
- Increase in blood potassium level
- Viral infection like cough or cold
- Stomach pain
Diovan Serious Side Effects
Diovan has a good side effect profile. It is less common to see patients discontinue therapy due to severe side effects. In rare cases, patients experiencing signs of allergic reactions like hives, difficulty in breathing, swelling of face, lips, tongue or throat should immediately stop using the drug and consult to the doctor. Some of the other serious side effects that are rarely reported with Valsartan include:
- Loss of appetite
- Pounding heartbeats or fluttering in the chest
- Rapid weight gain
- Shortness of breath
Diovan Drug Interactions
Patients undergoing treatment with Valsartan must inform their doctor about all the prescription, non-prescription, herbal and vital supplements that they are taking or planning to take. It is essential to do so because Diovan is known to interact with certain medications and can cause adverse impact on the patient’s health. It is important for the patients to make sure that the combinations of drugs they are planning to take are safe. Some of the drugs that might interact with Diovan include:
- Alpha-blockers like prazosin
- ACE inhibitors like Enalapril
- Any other angiotensin II receptor antagonists like losartan
- Beta-blockers drug
- MAOI antidepressants like Phenelzine
Warnings and Precautions
There are certain warnings and precautions that should be kept in mind while using the drug Diovan. Some of the warnings and precautions that are vital to keep in mind include:
- Patients with decreased kidney functions or having kidney dialysis must consult the doctor before taking Diovan.
- Individuals allergic to any of the ingredients of Valsartan must avoid using this drug.
- Patients having pre-existing medical conditions like liver disease, kidney disease, congestive heart failure or dehydration can take Diovan only after consulting with doctor.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers should avoid taking Valsartan.
- Diovan in extremely rare cases can cause break down of skeletal tissue and leads to kidney failure.
- Patients must avoid drinking alcohol while taking Valsartan as it can increase the chances of side effects.
- Patients with severely decreased liver function
- Patients having rare form of liver disease
- Patients having adrenal gland disorder
- Individual having hereditary problems of fructose intolerance