Side Effects of Nexium
Patients are strictly advised to consume the drug under the doctor's supervision. People experiencing any side effect must immediately consult the doctor. Some of the common side-effects associated with Nexium include:
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
In case of serious allergic reactions with Nexium, the patient should immediately consult with the doctor. Allergic reactions that may occur with Nexium are as follows:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Throat swelling
- Face swelling
Severe Side Effects of Nexium
Nexium can cause some very severe side effects, but these side effects are quite uncommon and rare. Patients using Nexium should be aware of the following side effects:
- Swelling in face, lips, tongue or other body parts
- Shortness of breath
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Severe skin reactions like rash, redness and itching
Drug Interactions with Nexium
It is important that the patient inform the doctor about all the prescription, non-prescription, vitamins and herbal supplements that they are consuming. The interaction of Nexium with the following drugs can cause serious side effects.
- Iron containing products
Warning & Precautionary Instructions
It is important to be aware of the warnings associated with the drug in order to avoid any serious consequences. The following warnings associated with this drug must be kept in mind:
- Patients taking proton pump inhibitors class of drugs like esomeprazole have a high risk of fractures of the spine, wrist, or hip. Thus, people using Nexium must get their bone density checked on a regular basis.
- Those having severe liver problems need to consult the doctor in order to get the dosage titrated accordingly.
- Conditions of weight loss, difficulty in swallowing, recurrent vomiting, bloody vomiting, or blood in stool should be immediately reported to the doctor to avoid any serious health hazard.
- Pregnant women are advised to avoid this drug unless the benefits outweigh the risks.
- Since the drug may pass into breast milk, lactating mothers should consult with their physician or pharmacist before taking the medication.
- The effectiveness and safety of this drug has not been established for children under 1 year of age, hence this drug can only be recommended to children and adolescents of 1 to 17 years of age for short term treatment of GERD.