Tricor Usage Instructions
Patients should take Fenofibrate exactly as prescribed by the doctor. The dosage should never be increased or decreased without consulting the doctor. It is important to take the drug only for the prescribed time frame. Following the directions as prescribed by the doctor and as discussed with the pharmacist is highly advised because this will be important to meet the therapeutic objectives.
- Fenofibrate should be taken with a full glass of water.
- This drug can be taken with or without food.
- Broken or crushed tablet of Tricor should be avoided.
- It is important to take the Fenofibrate dosage regularly.
- Patient taking Cholestyramine or Colestipol must take these medicines at least 1 hour after taking Fenofibrate, or 4 to 6 hours before taking Fenofibrate.
- This drug is only a part of the complete treatment and hence should be complimented with low-fat diet, exercise and weight control.
Patients are advised to follow the doctors prescribed dosage. Doctors will base the dosage on the patient’s condition, age, severity of the problem and medical history. One should not change the dosage or stop taking the medication without the doctor's approval.
The recommended adult dosage for the treatment of high cholesterol levels or for a combination of high cholesterol and high triglycerides is 145 mg of Tricor in a day.
Adult dosage for the treatment of high triglyceride levels ranges from 48-145 mg/day. However the dose should not be exceed more than 145 mg of Tricor in a day. Patients suffering from kidney problems need to get their dose titrated accordingly.
Missed and Overdose of Fenofibrate
The missed dose of Tricor should be taken as soon as the patient remembers it. If it is almost time for the next dose, the patient should skip the missed dose and continue with their regular schedule. Patients should never take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
If overdose is suspected patients should immediately seek medical attention. They can even contact their local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
Tricor must be stored at room temperature i.e. 25°C. The drug should be kept away from light and moisture. The drug should be inaccessible to children and pets. It is important to safely dispose the unused and expired drug.