There are some risk of experiencing side effects to patients prescribed with Ezetimibe. Although, not every individual taking this drug will experience side effects, most patients who experience some side effects will adjust to Zetia over time and the side effects may resolve over this period. Some of the common side effects of Zetia include:
- Depressed mood
- Tingly or numbness feeling
- Mild stomach pain
- Runny or stuffy nose and cold symptoms
Some serious side effects of the drug that requires immediate medical attention are:
- Loss of appetite
- Clay colored stools
- Dark urine
- Unusual muscle tenderness, weakness or pain
- Low fever
- Headache with red skin rash, severe blistering and peeling
Before using Zetia, it is vital for the patients to inform the doctor about all prescription and non-prescription medication including herbal or natural remedies that they are taking or planning to take. Certain drugs are known to interact with Ezetimibe and hence, patients should discuss with the doctor before taking any of the given medications while taking Ezetimibe.
- Colesevelam (Welchol)
- Colestipol (Colestid)
- Cholestyramine (Prevalite, Questran)
- Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune,Gengraf)
- Gemfibrozil (Lopid)
- CBlood thinner like Warfarin (Coumadin)
Disclosure of the use of these above mentioned drugs is important, as these drugs may interfere with the normal functioning of Zetia.
Patients are strictly advised not to take Zetia without the doctor's approval, if they have any of the following diseases:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Muscle problem
Warnings associated with use of Ezetimibe
There are certain warnings associated with Ezetimibe that patients must keep mindful in order to avoid further health complications.
- Patients with decreased liver functions should avoid taking Ezetimibe.
- Low-cholesterol diet is recommended while using this drug.
- Pregnant women are advised to avoid this drug.
- Ezetimibe is not recommended along with any steroid or hormonal medicines.
- Individuals experiencing any type of allergies or unexplained muscle tenderness, weakness or pain must immediately stop using this drug.
- Individuals who regularly drink alcohol need to discuss with the doctor before taking Zetia.
- Do not advise anyone to take this medication if that person is suffering from the same condition.